Tuesday 20 June 2017

CrashCourse

I've previously posted a YouTube by Hank Green, one of the VLogBrothers, his brother being John. Well, as you can imagine from a couple of talented guys they do other stuff too, so keep a look out for them (and their friends).

One of the things they do is run another YouTube channel called 'CrashCourse'. It's a great resource for learning...well...stuff. Take a look and see if they have anything on a subject that interests you. Here three videos that interest me because they relate to some of life's big questions:

Creation from the Void, from the Mythology Playlist

The thing that I like about this one is that they include the Big Bag as an example of a Creation story, something that appeals to my postmodern sense of uncertainty and scepticism of grand narratives. Not that I disbelieve the theory of the Big Bang, but recognising that our knowledge is limited and subject to future updates.


Christianity from Judaism to Constantine, from the World History Playlist

What I like about this one is that they present a history according to what the relevant academics say without a too much of a theological overlay. Be careful in their phraseology though. For example, look out for 'according to the Hebrew calendar at least', implying that the Biblical history is not objectively valid.


Determinism vs Free Will, from the Philosophy Playlist

This one interests me because I just don't know which side I come down on. I'd love to think that I have free will, but it seems there are good reasons I should doubt that.

No comments:

Post a Comment